Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Grandma Did Not Get Run Over By A Reindeer

    One million cities. One night only. Every year Santa Claus magically delivers presents to all the "good" people all over the world. As children, we believed that Santa actually did do this amazing feat. However, as we grew up, we came to realize the truth: that parents, friends, and family members actually bought them for us. There are many different ways that people celebrate this holiday, and there are multiple religions that celebrate it in varying ways.


    Millions of houses are spectacularly illuminated by Christmas lights in honor of this holiday. On the lawns there may be large displays of Nativity Scenes, Santa Clauses, elves, and reindeer. There are even large, blow-up, snow globes. Inside there is a grand tree covered by ornaments and more bright lights. Some people even go out to sings songs in order to celebrate Christmas.

    However, there are some people who absolutely detest this holiday. The oldest and most famous character that comes to mind is Scrooge. He was visited by three spirits known as Christmas Past, Present, and Future, in order to help him change his outlook. Another famous character is the Grinch. He tried to destroy Christmas for the people of Whoville, but a single, little Who, known as Cindy, helped change him to stop the catastrophe. Though these characters are fictional, they are not the only ones who detest the holiday.


    My family celebrates this holiday by many of the previously stated examples. We decorate the house, put up and decorate a tree, buy and wrap presents, and get together for a party. We open presents on Christmas morning and have a large dinner later. In a way, Christmas is like Halloween and Thanksgiving: we eat a lot of food and receive a large amount of candy. Every year my mom and I make a mountain of cookies, fudge, and other treats. However, this year will be different for two reasons. One reason is because my family is dispersed across the country. The other is because my mom has to work on that day, so we aren't celebrating until New Years. Though it will be different, I know it will be amazing and as fun as ever.

(Obviously this is not all there is to Christmas. It is a vast topic, and this is just a short example.)

(We also decorate gingerbread houses sometimes.)

4 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love christmas?? You get presents lots of food hang out with family and friends... plus all the snow makes it great! My favorite part of christmas is when u get to go get a tree. We always get a real tree and since christmas will be at our house this year we'll probably get 2~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I don't detest Christmas and I really do love this holiday, I do detest, in many ways, what it has become. The original meaning of this beautiful day seems to get so lost in all of the other traditions that now surround Christmas. It seems to me to be difficult for anyone to even say "Merry Christmas" anymore. Its now "Happy Holidays." Not many more nativity scenes outside in the front yard like it was when I was a child. This always leaves me a little sad, even in all of the enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure is a known fact, that Christmas has lost the true meaning of this season. I don't do much, since my children are grown and have other families to see. I do enjoy a quiet holiday, and I go out an look at all the wonderful lights. When I see all the blow up yard decorations out of air, and just laying on the ground, I think to myself, "oh look, another drive by". Remember the reason for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Santa Claus isn't real?!
    Kidding.
    I do love Christmas, and I agree with Professor Brooks that the meaning of Christmas is often lost among many people these days. However, I and others like you still hold on to that true Christmas spirit and celebrate it with joy, warmth, and an appreciation for family. Go us.

    ReplyDelete