Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Triple Chocolate Cake

    Though Thanksgiving used to be mostly about giving thanks, a majority of it is now about the food. Some people do still offer thanks, but many equate the holiday to a huge amount of food. This holiday originated in the United States, back in the time of the Pilgrims and Native Americans. To this day it continues to be celebrated in a variety of ways, such as parades, family gatherings, football games, and tables full of food.

    Every year my family gets together to celebrate this holiday. My immediate family and my extended family are close, so we all like to take the chance to get together. Though there is a large amount of people, we all manage to fit in one house. We watch the parade in the morning while preparing for the festivities. Later there is a large dinner, conversation, and games to play.
    During the games after dinner, people continue to return to the food tables, even though they are full. There is always a large variety of things to eat. Usually there is turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing, green bean casserole, and so on. For dessert, there is pumpkin pie, apple pie, triple chocolate cake, fudge, and anything else we might want. People may be full, but they keep going back for more. At the end of the evening, we say goodbyes and sometimes send leftovers home with various family members.

    Though some people think that this holiday is "stupid," it is one of my favorites. While it does seem to be mostly about food, many people look forward to a good reason to "pig out." One of the things I look forward to the most, besides getting days off from school, is getting to see my family. This year will be very different from others because my grandma passed on so it will be celebrated at my house, and also because many people from my family have moved away. Even though they will not be there, I know my grandpa will say a prayer for them and they will be missed.
(The chocolate cake is next to the last paragraph because my grandma is mentioned, and she always made triple chocolate cake just for me.)

This is just a short little clip from the parade last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlG1PtxyQiE&feature=related

5 comments:

  1. First of all, your title really made me want to read your blog! I, too, love Thanksgiving and look forward to this holiday the most. There is definitely a never ending supply of food on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I read your title and I thought you were going to tell us how to make an awesome triple chocolate cake for thanksgiving...but your blog was a cute one for sure! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is interesting. I love thanksgiving also, it's one of my favorite holidays. It really is an excuse to "pig out". I do notice that most people treat the holiday as if it was only meant to eat and it is not right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right. People do associate ginormous amounts of food with Thanksgiving! However, I also love Thanksgiving because I get to see my family, just like you. Family is most definitely more important than eating 3,000 calories or more, and that's just for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thanksgiving!!!! What holiday lets you eat so much! Also, it is a reminder to me on how far we have come and how people from way back in the day have influenced us in ways that some people do not even take time to think about.

    ReplyDelete