Wednesday, November 3, 2010

This Isn't My House!

    Have you ever heard someone say or joke around about an elderly person having Alzheimer's? They may not have even known what it meant. Some people think all elderly people have it just because they can't remember things as easily as they used to, but many of us have the same problem. So do we all have the disease? Alzheimer's  disease is actually the most common form of senile dementia. It is most commonly seen among the elderly and there are many symptoms and causes.
    Dementia is basically the deterioration of cognitive processes. Symptoms include, but are not limited to: memory loss, disorientation of time and place, altered personality, impaired attention, and decline in the ability to think. There are many possible causes for this condition. Causes vary from strokes and tumors to low vitamin B12 or fluid buildup in the brain. There aren't really any tests to see if you have it, like testing for pneumonia. Some cases may be treated or cured by fixing the problem or taking medicine. However, other cases will progressively grow worse. The only thing you can do for those cases are make them comfortable and take good care of them. Eventually they might not even be able to care for themselves, recognize loved ones, or know where they are. It is important to keep them safe, active, entertained, and reminded of necessary activities.


    Though I plan to go into nursing, I don't plan to take care of elderly patients with dementia. This topic relates to my current career, which is why I chose it. I help take care of an elderly woman who has Vascular dementia, the second most common form of dementia. I wasn't employed when it first started, but I believe it was caused by a stroke. She has little control over her left side, needs help walking, and takes many medicines. At first it seemed like a pretty easy job, and it still is, but it requires a lot of attention and care. The job is also very personal because I help her do many basic things, like get her food ready. She has good days and bad days, like all of us, but my favorite days are when she doesn't have a panic attack, get severely dehydrated, or think we kidnapped her and are all in on it.


5 comments:

  1. Dementia is a really scary thing. I find it rather interesting though. I think that your paper will turn out to be a very interesting one and I would really like the chance to get to read it. Im especially interested in some of the experimental treatments they are trying to find to cure it. I really hope that they find one before I get older and could possibly be effected by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my mom used to work in a nursing home and will occassionally tell me a story or two about the patients there with their various disorders. Most of her stories relate to demmentia, and despite some interesting events, it is quite scary to think about. Anyway, I learned many things from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually considered researching Alzheimer's for my thesis of my senior year in college (many honors colleges require a senior research project). My aunt has Alzheimer's, and she is sort of fascinating. However, being around her can be sad because she doesn't know who I am anymore, doesn't remember deaths in the family, etc. Dementia is a very serious, scary disorder, and I think that it desperately needs a cure. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning about the disorder and needs of your current client is one of the best decisions you could have made. It really helps to know about the patient. When people understand the disorder, they are more prepared to care for the patient because they have some understanding of the patient's condition and needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I acutally use to work on a Alzheimers and dementia lock down unit. I was a very interesting job acutally. Its amazing to see how elderly people use to act and use to be and once alzheimers and dementia hits how much they change, its almost like they revert back to there childhood years. I acutally loved my job and my residents, everyday I came to work it was never the same as anyother day, and there was always something going on.

    ReplyDelete