Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Serenity


The stars sparkle, crickets chirp, and the moon glows brightly in the night sky. When I take out my dogs at night, if there are clear skies, I gaze up at the sky and think about a variety of things. This simple action brings me great pleasure because it is so peaceful, beautiful, and there is nothing else like it.

            One of the things I find so amazing about the sky is that the stars are as different as the people of the world. No two stars are alike and no star will be created the same again. The night sky is one of the natural wonders of the world, but many do not look up and realize it. People are too busy or preoccupied by their lives that they do not even think to stop and gaze at the stars for just a second. However, people from big cities may not be able to see the sky because of light pollution. If a person has never left a city with many lights, then they may not realize what an amazing sight it can be. Though I enjoy going to the city, I am glad I live in a rural area because I can observe the sky and it is quiet. However, even in the country there are negative aspects.

            Though the sky is a large expanse, there are obstructions, like trees or buildings, which prevent one from really appreciating its size. I have always wanted to go to the desert, or far out on the ocean, so that I could take in the whole view. Being an astronaut has never interested me, but the view from above Earth’s surface must be spectacular. Though the experience would be incredible, I do not think I will ever go to space.
            I do not believe in astrological signs or the positions of the planets having different meanings. The only constellation I can ever find is the Big Dipper. Although I love to see shooting stars, I do not believe wishing on one will make it come true. However, I find the night sky a beautiful inspiration. When I look up at the sky, I think about my life and where I want it to go. As I am taking my dogs back inside, I wonder if anyone else in the world is looking at the sky and thinking about life, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn6-c223DUU&ob=av2e
(The chorus and parts of the song suit this blog.)

4 comments:

  1. I love more than anything the fact that you as well as I have a difficult time identifying any sort of pattern or picture in the sky. I myself can not even find the big dipper..now that's pretty sad! Also, I like your concept of looking up and wondering if others do the same. I can agree that I do this so there is at least one person who does the same. I like to wonder if there are other out there somewhere looking at the same "picture" in the sky i am, looking at the same star and what not. Lastly, I'm unsure whether or not a shooting star really makes a wish come true.. but I'd like to think it will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that looking at the miracles of nature brings a great amount of peace. This is one reason why ocean and mountain view property is so expensive. I hadn't given much thought to the stars, maybe because we live around so many lights that our view of the stars is diminished. There's nothing like a peaceful quiet walk. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do feel your passion about the stars. My greatest evening activity is sitting around an nice bonfire, on a crisp night, gazing up at the sky. Being out in the country you appreciate the night sky more then if you lived in the city areas. You never take that moment to look up and gaze at the stars, due to most of the time it is to bright around you with lights to even see the sky. That is sad and I just wish people would take that special moment and look at the beauty of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stars will always amaze me, too. I find it extremely interesting that the light we see at night was produced by them many years ago and is just now getting to us. Like you, I do not want to be an astronaut, because I think we have a good enough view from here. Also, it was cool how you went back to the idea of you and your dogs. That is good writing technique!

    ReplyDelete